torsdag den 5. september 2013

Music viewed from a different perspective

Music viewed from a different perspective


By making music compulsory in all schools up until they reach secondary school you invite the children to take even bigger part in the music culture. Music is used everywhere often without we notice it.

Schools still teaches the children to write by hand even though they more frequently will use a computer or a phone when writing later on. They are still taught the basics of writing by hand, why not do the same with music? Give them the basics of music education in school and so they can contribute with more knowledge to the music culture.
 
Sean Gregory states: ”we need to challenge ourselves constantly to ensure music and cultural education systems reflect the growing global nature of the arts, and make an effort to understand and appreciate the quality of work produced from different perspectives and disciplines.” One way to do so is by involving the children even more and be open minded towards their suggestions and inputs.

The department of education in England has donated £292 million to spend on music education an approach New Zealand hopefully will be able to follow with a similar approach. As a foreigner I would not know where the money should come from, as I have not tried the system nor do I have a proper insight in New Zealand politics. 

Personally I wished that I was able to play an instrument, however this was not my biggest interest as a child, and I therefore today wish I had been encouraged and even forced to play an instrument. 

We are always surrounded by music and it only makes sense to let the children explore the subject further in school. Not only do they benefit from academically and socially, they are also exposed and influenced by music in their daily life. Giselle E Whitwell states: “…it [music] has profoundly affected human beings in their physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well being.” One way to ensure the children gains the benefits of music is to make music compulsory in all schools up until secondary school.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar